Methodist Heritage

Winchelsea Historic
Methodist Chapel

Events and Calendar
Friends of Winchelsea Historic Methodist Chapel
History of Winchelsea Methodism
How to find The Chapel and Wesley Tree
How to book to visit or use the Chapel
About Winchelsea
Hastings Bexhill and Rye Circuit
Contact us

Events at Winchelsea Historic Methodist Chapel

We normally try to have at least one event per month and to participate in local Winchelsea events including open days when all can visit this peaceful little gem of a chapel. At the present time we hope to be able to open the Chapel for short periods, once per month, restrictions permitting.
When there are Open Garden Days in the town, we also try to open our Chapel for visitors.



Saturday 11th May  Open Day from 10am - 4pm.
At 3pm there will be an organ recital by Stephen Page. Collection for Christian Aid.


Sunday 14th July 239th Chapel Anniversary
With Hymn Singing under the 'Wesley Tree' at 2.30pm followed by the service of celebration in the Chapel at 3pm.
Come and celebrate with us!



The Rev Graham Thompson made a special trip to East Sussex, and visited the newest and the oldest chapels in the South East District. The new united Emmanuel Church in Eastbourne will shortly be completed and one new building will cater for four previous churches - both Methodist and United Reformed. The building is not quite completed and has been highlighted in previous copies of the Recorder.

After the morning service and some lunch, the President plus the Chairman of the District, Rev David Hinchliffe, travelled along the south coast to the town of Winchelsea. One of the smallest towns in England that is the site of the Wesley Chapel - or Preaching House to give it the correct title - that was opened in 1785.

Prior to the service, there was a session of hymn singing under the Wesley Tree, led by the Superintendent Minister of the Hastings, Bexhill and Rye circuit, the Rev Philip Wagstaff. This was the original site of the tree under which John Wesley preached his last open air sermon on 7th October 1790. In 1927 the original tree blew down and the present tree is a sapling taken for the original and planted in 1931. In glorious sunshine over 50 people sang unaccompanied hymns with great relish!

All then adjourned to the 'Preaching House' and the service was led by the Superintendent Minister, with the Chairman and Mr Terry Novis (Property Steward) reading the lessons. Prayers of intercession were led by the Rector of Winchelsea, Rev Jonathan Meyer. It was a delight to have the Mayor of Winchelsea, and his wife, to grace the occasion.

The President gave the sermon from the very large pulpit - the very same pulpit from which John Wesley preached in 1789.

The Preaching House was full to capacity, including a dozen folk in the balcony. In one day, the President had travelled from the new to the old - to misquote the well known hymn. The weather was beautiful, the large crowd were in full voice and the President was able to challenge us all in true John Wesley fashion!

Barry Turnwell
Publicity Officer- Friends of Winchelsea Chapel.